Dr. Rafael Blesa obtained his medical degree from the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona in 1975 and specialized in Neurology at Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau.
After completing his Ph.D. in Medicine at the Universitat de Barcelona (1989) he worked at the National Institute of Health in Bethesda, Maryland (USA) as an associate researcher in experimental therapies. He returned to Barcelona in 1993 where he directed the Alzheimer and Other Cognitive Disorders Unit at Hospital Clínic for 10 years. Since 2003, Dr Blesa has been the Director of the Neurology Department at Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau.
Dr. Rafael Blesa is the author of more than 30 book chapters and more than 170 scientific articles published in high impact national and international journals, and he has been the principal investigator of over 70 research projects and pharmacological studies in the field of Alzheimer’s disease. He is a member of prestigious medical and scientific societies that have awarded his scientific contributions in numerous occasions.
In his professional trajectory, he has combined clinical and research tasks with teaching activities as an associate professor of Neurology at Universitat de Barcelona and Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, and he has directed and supervised numerous doctoral theses.
- Focused ultrasound in Parkinson's disease: A twofold path toward disease modification. Foffani, G et al. Mov. Disord. 2019PMID:31412430
- [Evaluation of a motivational intervention of physical activity program in the treatment of obesity and overweight]. López Tarraga, PJ et al. Hipertens Riesgo Vasc 2019PMID:31405823
- HTLV-1 infection in solid organ transplant donors and recipients in Spain. de Mendoza, C et al. BMC Infect. Dis. 2019PMID:31399112
- Malposition of nasogastric tube diagnosed by ultrasound in abdominal surgery patient. Edroso Jarne, PE et al. Med Intensiva 2019PMID:31395410
- Prediction of Progression-Free Survival in Patients With Advanced, Well-Differentiated, Neuroendocrine Tumors Being Treated With a Somatostatin Analog: The GETNE-TRASGU Study. Carmona-Bayonas, A et al. J. Clin. Oncol. 2019PMID:31390276
- Macular presentation of primary cutaneous follicle center lymphoma with an intermittent clinical course. AbadIas-Granado, I et al. Indian J Dermatol Venereol Leprol PMID:31389373
- Awareness of biotin: A growing problem in clinical practice. Ruiz-Ginés, MÁ et al. Endocrinol Diabetes Nutr 2019PMID:31387845
- A simple method for the isolation and detailed characterization of primary human proximal tubule cells for renal replacement therapy. Sánchez-Romero, N et al. Int J Artif Organs 2019PMID:31385550
- Evolution of older patients diagnosed with early breast cancer in Spain between 1998 and 2001 included in El Alamo III project. Torregrosa, MD et al. Clin Transl Oncol 2019PMID:31385227
- Identifying potential novel drugs against Helicobacter pylori by targeting the essential response regulator HsrA. González, A et al. Sci Rep 2019PMID:31383920
- Coronary artery aneurysms, insights from the international coronary artery aneurysm registry (CAAR). Núñez-Gil, IJ et al. Int. J. Cardiol. 2019PMID:31378382
- Treatment outcome in dually HIV-1 and HIV-2 coinfected patients living in Spain. Requena, S et al. AIDS 2019PMID:31373918
- [Efficacy of Music Therapy in Functional Recovery of the Upper Limb After a Stroke: a Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis]. Roche Bueno, JC et al. Rehabilitacion (Madr) PMID:31370945
- Treatment options beyond immunotherapy in patients with wild-type lung adenocarcinoma: a Delphi consensus. Isla, D et al. Clin Transl Oncol 2019PMID:31368078
- Blood-brain barrier opening with focused ultrasound in experimental models of Parkinson's disease. Karakatsani, ME et al. Mov. Disord. 2019PMID:31361356