Dr. Rafael Blesa obtained his medical degree from the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona in 1975 and specialized in Neurology at Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau.
After completing his Ph.D. in Medicine at the Universitat de Barcelona (1989) he worked at the National Institute of Health in Bethesda, Maryland (USA) as an associate researcher in experimental therapies. He returned to Barcelona in 1993 where he directed the Alzheimer and Other Cognitive Disorders Unit at Hospital Clínic for 10 years. Since 2003, Dr Blesa has been the Director of the Neurology Department at Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau.
Dr. Rafael Blesa is the author of more than 30 book chapters and more than 170 scientific articles published in high impact national and international journals, and he has been the principal investigator of over 70 research projects and pharmacological studies in the field of Alzheimer’s disease. He is a member of prestigious medical and scientific societies that have awarded his scientific contributions in numerous occasions.
In his professional trajectory, he has combined clinical and research tasks with teaching activities as an associate professor of Neurology at Universitat de Barcelona and Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, and he has directed and supervised numerous doctoral theses.
- Familial association of genetic generalised epilepsy with limb-girdle muscular dystrophy through a mutation in CAPN3. Viloria-Alebesque, A et al. Epilepsy Behav Case Rep 2019PMID:31011535
- Role of urine immunofixation in the complete response assessment of MM patients other than light- chain-only disease. Lahuerta, JJ et al. Blood 2019PMID:31010846
- Adalimumab or Infliximab for the Prevention of Early Postoperative Recurrence of Crohn Disease: Results From the ENEIDA Registry. Cañete, F et al. Inflamm. Bowel Dis. 2019PMID:31006801
- [Assessment of the effectiveness of an intervention to improve immunization coverage in splenectomy patients]. Hernández-García, I et al. Rev. Esp. Salud Publica 2019PMID:31006771
- Residual congestion and clinical intuition in decompensated heart failure. Pérez Calvo, JI et al. Rev Clin Esp 2019PMID:31005262
- HIV co-infection in HTLV-1 carriers in Spain. de Mendoza, C et al. Virus Res. 2019PMID:30998953
- Intracellular Delivery of Biologically-Active Fungal Metabolite Gliotoxin Using Magnetic Nanoparticles. Comas, L et al. Materials (Basel) 2019PMID:30987007
- Effectiveness and safety of the switch from Remicade to CT-P13 in patients with inflammatory bowel disease. Chaparro, M et al. J Crohns Colitis 2019PMID:30976785
- Familial hypercholesterolemia: Experience in the Lipid Clinic of Alava. Irigoyen Cucalón, L et al. Clin Investig Arterioscler 2019PMID:30971376
- [Isolated hand palsy due to an ischaemic stroke]. Marin-Gracia, M et al. Rev Neurol 2019PMID:30963533
- Cystic lesion of pectoralis minor muscle: learning from mistakes. García-Tirado, J et al. Autops Case Rep PMID:30963055
- Levels of anger in epilepsy patients treated with eslicarbazepine acetate. Toledo, M et al. Acta Neurol. Scand. 2019PMID:30953593
- Management of Helicobacter pylori infection at the primary care level. The implementation of specific counseling improves eradication rates. Laredo, V et al. Helicobacter 2019PMID:30950147
- Primary sclerosing cholangitis and inflammatory bowel disease: Intestine-liver interrelation. Núñez F, P et al. Gastroenterol Hepatol 2019PMID:30948141
- Importance of TRAIL Molecular Anatomy in Receptor Oligomerization and Signaling. Implications for Cancer Therapy. Naval, J et al. Cancers (Basel) 2019PMID:30934872