Dr. Rafael Blesa obtained his medical degree from the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona in 1975 and specialized in Neurology at Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau.
After completing his Ph.D. in Medicine at the Universitat de Barcelona (1989) he worked at the National Institute of Health in Bethesda, Maryland (USA) as an associate researcher in experimental therapies. He returned to Barcelona in 1993 where he directed the Alzheimer and Other Cognitive Disorders Unit at Hospital Clínic for 10 years. Since 2003, Dr Blesa has been the Director of the Neurology Department at Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau.
Dr. Rafael Blesa is the author of more than 30 book chapters and more than 170 scientific articles published in high impact national and international journals, and he has been the principal investigator of over 70 research projects and pharmacological studies in the field of Alzheimer’s disease. He is a member of prestigious medical and scientific societies that have awarded his scientific contributions in numerous occasions.
In his professional trajectory, he has combined clinical and research tasks with teaching activities as an associate professor of Neurology at Universitat de Barcelona and Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, and he has directed and supervised numerous doctoral theses.
- Pharmaceutical intervention after evaluation of the risk of ictus in elderly patients institutionalized with atrial fibrillation. Pérez-Surio, AF et al. JRSM Cardiovasc Dis PMID:31205686
- EpidemIBD: rationale and design of a large-scale epidemiological study of inflammatory bowel disease in Spain. Chaparro, M et al. Therap Adv Gastroenterol 2019PMID:31205485
- Postoperative Outcomes Within Enhanced Recovery After Surgery Protocol in Elective Total Hip and Knee Arthroplasty. POWER.2 Study: Study Protocol for a Prospective, Multicentre, Observational Cohort Study. Ripollés-Melchor, J et al. Turk J Anaesthesiol Reanim 2019PMID:31183463
- MONOZEB: Long-term observational study of eslicarbazepine acetate monotherapy. Villanueva, V et al. Epilepsy Behav 2019PMID:31181429
- Aciclovir-induced acute kidney injury. Coscojuela Otto, A et al. Med Clin (Barc) 2019PMID:31160042
- CHANGES IN TOTAL AND INNER RETINAL THICKNESSES IN TYPE 1 DIABETES WITH NO RETINOPATHY AFTER 8 YEARS OF FOLLOW-UP. Pinilla, I et al. Retina (Philadelphia, Pa.) 2019PMID:31157712
- Large Cells With CD30 Expression and Hodgkin-like Features in Primary Cutaneous Marginal Zone B-Cell Lymphoma: A Study of 13 Cases. Prieto-Torres, L et al. Am. J. Surg. Pathol. 2019PMID:31145160
- Efficacy and safety of endoscopic balloon dilation in inflammatory bowel disease: results of the large multicenter study of the ENEIDA registry. Andújar, X et al. Surg Endosc 2019PMID:31144122
- The impact of hip fracture on health-related quality of life and activities of daily living: the SPARE-HIP prospective cohort study. Prieto-Alhambra, D et al. Arch Osteoporos 2019PMID:31144117
- Blood urea levels associated to antidepressant drug treatment: Role of nitrogen and nitric oxide. Lozano, R et al. Indian J Psychiatry PMID:31142913
- Diabetes and Phacoemulsification Cataract Surgery: Difficulties, Risks and Potential Complications. Grzybowski, A et al. J Clin Med 2019PMID:31137510
- Adaptation to Spanish and validation of the Rhinitis Control Assessment Test (RCAT) questionnaire. Del Cuvillo, A et al. J Investig Allergol Clin Immunol 2019PMID:31135377
- [Recommendations on the use of monoclonal antibodies for treating migraine. Consensus group of Navarre and Aragon]. Santos Lasaosa, S et al. An Sist Sanit Navar 2019PMID:31133767
- Different pattern of CSF glial markers between dementia with Lewy bodies and Alzheimer's disease. Morenas-Rodríguez, E et al. Sci Rep 2019PMID:31127154
- Development of Patient Blood Management programs in vascular surgery, another emerging challenge or an urgent need?. Jericó Alba, C et al. Med Clin (Barc) 2019PMID:31122720