Dr. Alberto Lleó is the director of the Memory Unit of the Neurology Department at Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau.
After obtaining his Medical degree from the University of Barcelona, he completed his specialization in Neurology at Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau in 2000. Two years later, he obtained his PhD in Medicine at the University of Barcelona and continued his education with a clinical and basic research fellowship on memory and movement disorders at the Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston (2002-2004) where he combined clinical and research tasks.
In his professional career, Dr. Alberto Lleó has combined his clinical activity with translational research projects in the field of dementias with a specific focus on the molecular bases of the disease and biomarker development. Some of his main contributions are the discovery of new genetic alterations in Alzheimer’s disease, the study of the gamma-secretase complex, and the assessment of new chemical biomarkers for Alzheimer’s disease and frontotemporal dementia.
Today, Dr. Alberto Lleó runs a translational group, leads many projects funded by public and private agencies, and collaborates regularly with numerous national and international research groups. He also coordinates the Alzheimer program of CIBERNED (Center for Networked Biomedical Research in Neurodegenerative Diseases). To date, he has authored more than 20 book chapters and over 150 publications in international journals, and his contributions have been awarded by the Spanish Society of Neurology.
- A nonsynonymous mutation in PLCG2 reduces the risk of Alzheimer's disease, dementia with Lewy bodies and frontotemporal dementia, and increases the likelihood of longevity. van der Lee, SJ, Conway, OJ, Jansen, I et al. Acta Neuropathol. 2019PMID:31131421
- Different pattern of CSF glial markers between dementia with Lewy bodies and Alzheimer's disease. Morenas-Rodríguez, E, Alcolea, D, Suárez-Calvet, M et al. Sci Rep 2019PMID:31127154
- Is there a real survival benefit of surveillance for hepatocellular carcinoma in cirrhotic patients?. Colombo, M, Lleo, A Hepatobiliary Surg Nutr 2019PMID:31098364
- Altered microRNAs related to synaptic function as potential plasma biomarkers for Alzheimer's disease. Siedlecki-Wullich, D, Català-Solsona, J, Fábregas, C et al. Alzheimers Res Ther 2019PMID:31092279
- Primary fatty amides in plasma associated with brain amyloid burden, hippocampal volume, and memory in the European Medical Information Framework for Alzheimer's Disease biomarker discovery cohort. Kim, M, Snowden, S, Suvitaival, T et al. Alzheimers Dement 2019PMID:31078433
- GBA and APOE ε4 associate with sporadic dementia with Lewy bodies in European genome wide association study. Rongve, A, Witoelar, A, Ruiz, A et al. Sci Rep 2019PMID:31065058
- Inflammatory biomarkers in Alzheimer's disease plasma. Morgan, AR, Touchard, S, Leckey, C et al. Alzheimers Dement 2019PMID:31047856
- Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma with extensive emperipolesis mimicking Rosai-Dorfman disease: A rare case report. Rane, SR, Parkhi, M, Vishwasrao, S et al. Indian J Pathol Microbiol PMID:30971567
- Longitudinal cerebrospinal fluid biomarker trajectories along the Alzheimer's disease continuum in the BIOMARKAPD study. Lleó, A, Alcolea, D, Martínez-Lage, P et al. Alzheimers Dement 2019PMID:30967340
- Heritability and genetic variance of dementia with Lewy bodies. Guerreiro, R, Escott-Price, V, Hernandez, DG et al. Neurobiol. Dis. 2019PMID:30953760
- Clinical and Video-Polysomnographic Analysis of Rem Sleep Behavior Disorder and other Sleep Disturbances in Dementia with Lewy Bodies. Fernández-Arcos, A, Morenas-Rodríguez, E, Santamaria, J et al. Sleep 2019PMID:30946468
- Lights and Shadows on Fibrates as Second-Line Therapy of Primary Biliary Cholangitis. Colombo, M, Lleo, A, Lleo, A et al. Gastroenterology 2019PMID:30926340
- Nanoscale structure of amyloid-β plaques in Alzheimer's disease. Querol-Vilaseca, M, Colom-Cadena, M, Pegueroles, J et al. Sci Rep 2019PMID:30914681
- The tumour microenvironment and immune milieu of cholangiocarcinoma. Fabris, L, Perugorria, MJ, Mertens, J et al. Liver Int. 2019PMID:30907492
- Cortical microstructure in the behavioural variant of frontotemporal dementia: looking beyond atrophy. Illán-Gala, I, Montal, V, Borrego-Écija, S et al. Brain 2019PMID:30906945