Dr. Alberto Lleó is the director of the Memory Unit of the Neurology Department at Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau.
After obtaining his Medical degree from the University of Barcelona, he completed his specialization in Neurology at Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau in 2000. Two years later, he obtained his PhD in Medicine at the University of Barcelona and continued his education with a clinical and basic research fellowship on memory and movement disorders at the Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston (2002-2004) where he combined clinical and research tasks.
In his professional career, Dr. Alberto Lleó has combined his clinical activity with translational research projects in the field of dementias with a specific focus on the molecular bases of the disease and biomarker development. Some of his main contributions are the discovery of new genetic alterations in Alzheimer’s disease, the study of the gamma-secretase complex, and the assessment of new chemical biomarkers for Alzheimer’s disease and frontotemporal dementia.
Today, Dr. Alberto Lleó runs a translational group, leads many projects funded by public and private agencies, and collaborates regularly with numerous national and international research groups. He also coordinates the Alzheimer program of CIBERNED (Center for Networked Biomedical Research in Neurodegenerative Diseases). To date, he has authored more than 20 book chapters and over 150 publications in international journals, and his contributions have been awarded by the Spanish Society of Neurology.
- Shewanella algae and Vibrio spp. strains isolated in Italian aquaculture farms are reservoirs of antibiotic resistant genes that might constitute a risk for human health. Zago, V, Veschetti, L, Patuzzo, C et al. Mar. Pollut. Bull. 2020PMID:32174504
- Downregulation of miR-335-5P in Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis Can Contribute to Neuronal Mitochondrial Dysfunction and Apoptosis. De Luna, N, Turon-Sans, J, Cortes-Vicente, E et al. Sci Rep 2020PMID:32152380
- The Added Value of Tau-PET in the Assessment of Progressive Supranuclear Palsy. López-Mora, DA, Fernández León, A, Lleó, A et al. Clin Nucl Med 2020PMID:32149810
- Impact of RAS mutations on the immune infiltrate of colorectal liver metastases: A preliminary study. Polidoro, MA, Milana, F, Soldani, C et al. J. Leukoc. Biol. 2020PMID:32108374
- Postsustained Virological Response Management in Hepatitis C Patients. Masetti, C, Lleo, A, Colombo, M et al. Semin. Liver Dis. 2020PMID:32107758
- Goals of Treatment for Improved Survival in Primary Biliary Cholangitis: Treatment Target Should Be Bilirubin Within the Normal Range and Normalization of Alkaline Phosphatase. Murillo Perez, CF, Harms, MH, Lindor, KD et al. Am. J. Gastroenterol. 2020PMID:32079858
- Surgical Treatment of Hepatocholangiocarcinoma: A Systematic Review. Gentile, D, Donadon, M, Lleo, A et al. Liver Cancer 2020PMID:32071906
- Validation of Plasma Proteomic Biomarkers Relating to Brain Amyloid Burden in the EMIF-Alzheimer's Disease Multimodal Biomarker Discovery Cohort. Westwood, S, Baird, AL, Anand, SN et al. J. Alzheimers Dis. 2020PMID:31985466
- Hypermutation as an Evolutionary Mechanism for Achromobacter xylosoxidans in Cystic Fibrosis Lung Infection. Veschetti, L, Sandri, A, Johansen, HK et al. Pathogens 2020PMID:31973169
- CCL23: A Chemokine Associated with Progression from Mild Cognitive Impairment to Alzheimer's Disease. Faura, J, Bustamante, A, Penalba, A et al. J. Alzheimers Dis. 2020PMID:31958084
- Correction to: A nonsynonymous mutation in PLCG2 reduces the risk of Alzheimer's disease, dementia with Lewy bodies and frontotemporal dementia, and increases the likelihood of longevity. van der Lee, SJ, Conway, OJ, Jansen, I et al. Acta Neuropathol. 2020PMID:31955222
- A metabolite-based machine learning approach to diagnose Alzheimer-type dementia in blood: Results from the European Medical Information Framework for Alzheimer disease biomarker discovery cohort. Stamate, D, Kim, M, Proitsi, P et al. Alzheimers Dement (N Y) 2019PMID:31890857
- Reply to Letter to the Editor (HEP-19-1897). Arase, Y, Kagawa, T, Tanaka, A et al. Hepatology 2019PMID:31863598
- Letter to the Editor: might denosumab fit in PBC treatment?. Lleo, A, Ma, X, Gershwin, ME et al. Hepatology 2019PMID:31863485
- Mediterranean Diet and NAFLD: What We Know and Questions That Still Need to Be Answered. Plaz Torres, MC, Aghemo, A, Lleo, A et al. Nutrients 2019PMID:31817398