Dr. Alberto Lleó is the director of the Memory Unit of the Neurology Department at Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau.
After obtaining his Medical degree from the University of Barcelona, he completed his specialization in Neurology at Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau in 2000. Two years later, he obtained his PhD in Medicine at the University of Barcelona and continued his education with a clinical and basic research fellowship on memory and movement disorders at the Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston (2002-2004) where he combined clinical and research tasks.
In his professional career, Dr. Alberto Lleó has combined his clinical activity with translational research projects in the field of dementias with a specific focus on the molecular bases of the disease and biomarker development. Some of his main contributions are the discovery of new genetic alterations in Alzheimer’s disease, the study of the gamma-secretase complex, and the assessment of new chemical biomarkers for Alzheimer’s disease and frontotemporal dementia.
Today, Dr. Alberto Lleó runs a translational group, leads many projects funded by public and private agencies, and collaborates regularly with numerous national and international research groups. He also coordinates the Alzheimer program of CIBERNED (Center for Networked Biomedical Research in Neurodegenerative Diseases). To date, he has authored more than 20 book chapters and over 150 publications in international journals, and his contributions have been awarded by the Spanish Society of Neurology.
- Dense core vesicle markers in CSF and cortical tissues of patients with Alzheimer's disease. Barranco, N, Plá, V, Alcolea, D et al. Transl Neurodegener 2021PMID:34565482
- Cerebrospinal fluid levels of the neurotrophic factor neuroleukin are increased in early Alzheimer's disease, but not in cerebral amyloid angiopathy. De Kort, AM, Kuiperij, HB, Alcolea, D et al. Alzheimers Res Ther 2021PMID:34560885
- CSF Proteomic Alzheimer's Disease-Predictive Subtypes in Cognitively Intact Amyloid Negative Individuals. Tijms, BM, Gobom, J, Teunissen, C et al. Proteomes 2021PMID:34449748
- Plasma Proteomic Biomarkers Relating to Alzheimer's Disease: A Meta-Analysis Based on Our Own Studies. Shi, L, Buckley, NJ, Bos, I et al. Front Aging Neurosci 2021PMID:34366831
- Metabolite Signature of Alzheimer's Disease in Adults with Down Syndrome. Montal, V, Barroeta, I, Bejanin, A et al. Ann Neurol 2021PMID:34309066
- Diagnostic and prognostic performance and longitudinal changes in plasma neurofilament light chain concentrations in adults with Down syndrome: a cohort study. Carmona-Iragui, M, Alcolea, D, Barroeta, I et al. Lancet Neurol 2021PMID:34302785
- Phosphorylated tau181 in plasma as a potential biomarker for Alzheimer's disease in adults with Down syndrome. Lleó, A, Zetterberg, H, Pegueroles, J et al. Nat Commun 2021PMID:34262030
- Association of Apolipoprotein E ɛ4 Allele With Clinical and Multimodal Biomarker Changes of Alzheimer Disease in Adults With Down Syndrome. Bejanin, A, Iulita, MF, Vilaplana, E et al. JAMA Neurol 2021PMID:34228042
- VAMP-2 is a surrogate cerebrospinal fluid marker of Alzheimer-related cognitive impairment in adults with Down syndrome. Lleó, A, Carmona-Iragui, M, Videla, L et al. Alzheimers Res Ther 2021PMID:34183050
- Use of plasma biomarkers for AT(N) classification of neurodegenerative dementias. Alcolea, D, Delaby, C, Muñoz, L et al. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2021PMID:34103344
- A multicentre validation study of the diagnostic value of plasma neurofilament light. Ashton, NJ, Janelidze, S, Al Khleifat, A et al. Nat Commun 2021PMID:34099648
- Common variants in Alzheimer's disease and risk stratification by polygenic risk scores. de Rojas, I, Moreno-Grau, S, Tesi, N et al. Nat Commun 2021PMID:34099642
- State-of-the-art of lumbar puncture and its place in the journey of patients with Alzheimer's disease. Hampel, H, Shaw, LM, Aisen, P et al. Alzheimers Dement 2021PMID:34043269
- TMEM106B and CPOX are genetic determinants of cerebrospinal fluid Alzheimer's disease biomarker levels. Hong, S, Dobricic, V, Ohlei, O et al. Alzheimers Dement 2021PMID:33991015
- Biomarkers in neurological disorders: a fast-growing market. Lleó, A Brain Commun 2021PMID:33977270