Dr. Alberto Lleó is the director of the Memory Unit of the Neurology Department at Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau.
After obtaining his Medical degree from the University of Barcelona, he completed his specialization in Neurology at Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau in 2000. Two years later, he obtained his PhD in Medicine at the University of Barcelona and continued his education with a clinical and basic research fellowship on memory and movement disorders at the Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston (2002-2004) where he combined clinical and research tasks.
In his professional career, Dr. Alberto Lleó has combined his clinical activity with translational research projects in the field of dementias with a specific focus on the molecular bases of the disease and biomarker development. Some of his main contributions are the discovery of new genetic alterations in Alzheimer’s disease, the study of the gamma-secretase complex, and the assessment of new chemical biomarkers for Alzheimer’s disease and frontotemporal dementia.
Today, Dr. Alberto Lleó runs a translational group, leads many projects funded by public and private agencies, and collaborates regularly with numerous national and international research groups. He also coordinates the Alzheimer program of CIBERNED (Center for Networked Biomedical Research in Neurodegenerative Diseases). To date, he has authored more than 20 book chapters and over 150 publications in international journals, and his contributions have been awarded by the Spanish Society of Neurology.
- Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma with extensive emperipolesis mimicking Rosai-Dorfman disease: A rare case report. Rane, SR, Parkhi, M, Vishwasrao, S et al. Indian J Pathol Microbiol PMID:30971567
- Longitudinal cerebrospinal fluid biomarker trajectories along the Alzheimer's disease continuum in the BIOMARKAPD study. Lleó, A, Alcolea, D, Martínez-Lage, P et al. Alzheimers Dement 2019PMID:30967340
- Heritability and genetic variance of dementia with Lewy bodies. Guerreiro, R, Escott-Price, V, Hernandez, DG et al. Neurobiol. Dis. 2019PMID:30953760
- Clinical and Video-Polysomnographic Analysis of Rem Sleep Behavior Disorder and other Sleep Disturbances in Dementia with Lewy Bodies. Fernández-Arcos, A, Morenas-Rodríguez, E, Santamaria, J et al. Sleep 2019PMID:30946468
- Lights and Shadows on Fibrates as Second-Line Therapy of Primary Biliary Cholangitis. Colombo, M, Lleo, A, Lleo, A et al. Gastroenterology 2019PMID:30926340
- Nanoscale structure of amyloid-β plaques in Alzheimer's disease. Querol-Vilaseca, M, Colom-Cadena, M, Pegueroles, J et al. Sci Rep 2019PMID:30914681
- The Tumor Microenvironment and Immune Milieu of Cholangiocarcinoma. Fabris, L, Perugorria, MJ, Mertens, J et al. Liver Int. 2019PMID:30907492
- Cortical microstructure in the behavioural variant of frontotemporal dementia: looking beyond atrophy. Illán-Gala, I, Montal, V, Borrego-Écija, S et al. Brain 2019PMID:30906945
- Plasma biomarkers for amyloid, tau, and cytokines in Down syndrome and sporadic Alzheimer's disease. Startin, CM, Ashton, NJ, Hamburg, S et al. Alzheimers Res Ther 2019PMID:30902060
- The immune milieu of cholangiocarcinoma: From molecular pathogenesis to precision medicine. Rimassa, L, Personeni, N, Aghemo, A et al. J. Autoimmun. 2019PMID:30862450
- Cerebrospinal fluid biomarkers of neurodegeneration, synaptic integrity, and astroglial activation across the clinical Alzheimer's disease spectrum. Bos, I, Vos, S, Verhey, F et al. Alzheimers Dement 2019PMID:30853464
- Tumor-Infiltrating Lymphocytes and Macrophages in Intrahepatic Cholangiocellular Carcinoma. Impact on Prognosis after Complete Surgery. Vigano, L, Soldani, C, Franceschini, B et al. J. Gastrointest. Surg. 2019PMID:30843133
- Genetic meta-analysis of diagnosed Alzheimer's disease identifies new risk loci and implicates Aβ, tau, immunity and lipid processing. Kunkle, BW, Grenier-Boley, B, Sims, R et al. Nat. Genet. 2019PMID:30820047
- Refining surgical therapy of liver cancer in cirrhosis: etiology makes the difference. Colombo, M, Lleo, A Transl Gastroenterol Hepatol 2018PMID:30701211
- Has the time arrived for cerebrospinal fluid biomarkers in psychiatric disorders?. Lleó, A, Parnetti, L, Belbin, O et al. Clin. Chim. Acta 2019PMID:30682327