Dr. Alberto Lleó is the director of the Memory Unit of the Neurology Department at Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau.
After obtaining his Medical degree from the University of Barcelona, he completed his specialization in Neurology at Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau in 2000. Two years later, he obtained his PhD in Medicine at the University of Barcelona and continued his education with a clinical and basic research fellowship on memory and movement disorders at the Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston (2002-2004) where he combined clinical and research tasks.
In his professional career, Dr. Alberto Lleó has combined his clinical activity with translational research projects in the field of dementias with a specific focus on the molecular bases of the disease and biomarker development. Some of his main contributions are the discovery of new genetic alterations in Alzheimer’s disease, the study of the gamma-secretase complex, and the assessment of new chemical biomarkers for Alzheimer’s disease and frontotemporal dementia.
Today, Dr. Alberto Lleó runs a translational group, leads many projects funded by public and private agencies, and collaborates regularly with numerous national and international research groups. He also coordinates the Alzheimer program of CIBERNED (Center for Networked Biomedical Research in Neurodegenerative Diseases). To date, he has authored more than 20 book chapters and over 150 publications in international journals, and his contributions have been awarded by the Spanish Society of Neurology.
- Author Correction: Genetic meta-analysis of diagnosed Alzheimer's disease identifies new risk loci and implicates Aβ, tau, immunity and lipid processing. Kunkle, BW, Grenier-Boley, B, Sims, R et al. Nat. Genet. 2019PMID:31417202
- The MS4A gene cluster is a key modulator of soluble TREM2 and Alzheimer's disease risk. Deming, Y, Filipello, F, Cignarella, F et al. Sci Transl Med 2019PMID:31413141
- Genetic variation across RNA metabolism and cell death gene networks is implicated in the semantic variant of primary progressive aphasia. Bonham, LW, Steele, NZR, Karch, CM et al. Sci Rep 2019PMID:31350420
- All That Glitters is Not Gold in Vedolizumab Therapy for Patients With Inflammatory Bowel Diseases and Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis. Roda, G, Lleo, A, Danese, S et al. Clin. Gastroenterol. Hepatol. 2019PMID:31323379
- The risk of liver cancer in autoimmune liver diseases. Lleo, A, de Boer, YS, Liberal, R et al. Ther Adv Med Oncol 2019PMID:31320937
- Elevated levels of Secreted-Frizzled-Related-Protein 1 contribute to Alzheimer's disease pathogenesis. Esteve, P, Rueda-Carrasco, J, Inés Mateo, M et al. Nat. Neurosci. 2019PMID:31308530
- Hepatotoxicity of immune check point inhibitors: Approach and management. Lleo, A, Rimassa, L, Colombo, M et al. Dig Liver Dis 2019PMID:31296449
- Down syndrome, Alzheimer disease, and cerebral amyloid angiopathy: The complex triangle of brain amyloidosis. Carmona-Iragui, M, Videla, L, Lleó, A et al. Dev Neurobiol 2019PMID:31278851
- A nonsynonymous mutation in PLCG2 reduces the risk of Alzheimer's disease, dementia with Lewy bodies and frontotemporal dementia, and increases the likelihood of longevity. van der Lee, SJ, Conway, OJ, Jansen, I et al. Acta Neuropathol. 2019PMID:31131421
- Different pattern of CSF glial markers between dementia with Lewy bodies and Alzheimer's disease. Morenas-Rodríguez, E, Alcolea, D, Suárez-Calvet, M et al. Sci Rep 2019PMID:31127154
- Is there a real survival benefit of surveillance for hepatocellular carcinoma in cirrhotic patients?. Colombo, M, Lleo, A Hepatobiliary Surg Nutr 2019PMID:31098364
- Altered microRNAs related to synaptic function as potential plasma biomarkers for Alzheimer's disease. Siedlecki-Wullich, D, Català-Solsona, J, Fábregas, C et al. Alzheimers Res Ther 2019PMID:31092279
- Primary fatty amides in plasma associated with brain amyloid burden, hippocampal volume, and memory in the European Medical Information Framework for Alzheimer's Disease biomarker discovery cohort. Kim, M, Snowden, S, Suvitaival, T et al. Alzheimers Dement 2019PMID:31078433
- GBA and APOE ε4 associate with sporadic dementia with Lewy bodies in European genome wide association study. Rongve, A, Witoelar, A, Ruiz, A et al. Sci Rep 2019PMID:31065058
- Inflammatory biomarkers in Alzheimer's disease plasma. Morgan, AR, Touchard, S, Leckey, C et al. Alzheimers Dement 2019PMID:31047856