Dr. Alberto Lleó is the director of the Memory Unit of the Neurology Department at Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau.
After obtaining his Medical degree from the University of Barcelona, he completed his specialization in Neurology at Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau in 2000. Two years later, he obtained his PhD in Medicine at the University of Barcelona and continued his education with a clinical and basic research fellowship on memory and movement disorders at the Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston (2002-2004) where he combined clinical and research tasks.
In his professional career, Dr. Alberto Lleó has combined his clinical activity with translational research projects in the field of dementias with a specific focus on the molecular bases of the disease and biomarker development. Some of his main contributions are the discovery of new genetic alterations in Alzheimer’s disease, the study of the gamma-secretase complex, and the assessment of new chemical biomarkers for Alzheimer’s disease and frontotemporal dementia.
Today, Dr. Alberto Lleó runs a translational group, leads many projects funded by public and private agencies, and collaborates regularly with numerous national and international research groups. He also coordinates the Alzheimer program of CIBERNED (Center for Networked Biomedical Research in Neurodegenerative Diseases). To date, he has authored more than 20 book chapters and over 150 publications in international journals, and his contributions have been awarded by the Spanish Society of Neurology.
- Biomarkers in neurological disorders: a fast-growing market. Lleó, A Brain Commun 2021PMID:33977270
- CSF sTREM2 is elevated in a subset in GRN-related frontotemporal dementia. van der Ende, EL, Morenas-Rodriguez, E, McMillan, C et al. Neurobiol Aging 2021PMID:33896652
- Different Inflammatory Signatures in Alzheimer's Disease and Frontotemporal Dementia Cerebrospinal Fluid. Boström, G, Freyhult, E, Virhammar, J et al. J Alzheimers Dis 2021PMID:33814444
- AMYQ: An index to standardize quantitative amyloid load across PET tracers. Pegueroles, J, Montal, V, Bejanin, A et al. Alzheimers Dement 2021PMID:33797846
- Replication study of plasma proteins relating to Alzheimer's pathology. Shi, L, Winchester, LM, Westwood, S et al. Alzheimers Dement 2021PMID:33792144
- Diagnostic Utility of Measuring Cerebral Atrophy in the Behavioral Variant of Frontotemporal Dementia and Association With Clinical Deterioration. Illán-Gala, I, Falgàs, N, Friedberg, A et al. JAMA Netw Open 2021PMID:33704477
- Race and Alzheimer Disease Biomarkers: A Neglected Race. Lleó, A, Suárez-Calvet, M Neurol Genet 2021PMID:33688581
- Sex differences in the behavioral variant of frontotemporal dementia: A new window to executive and behavioral reserve. Illán-Gala, I, Casaletto, KB, Borrego-Écija, S et al. Alzheimers Dement 2021PMID:33590953
- Genome sequencing analysis identifies new loci associated with Lewy body dementia and provides insights into its genetic architecture. Chia, R, Sabir, MS, Bandres-Ciga, S et al. Nat Genet 2021PMID:33589841
- Pathophysiological subtypes of Alzheimer's disease based on cerebrospinal fluid proteomics. Tijms, BM, Gobom, J, Reus, L et al. Brain 2020PMID:33439986
- White Matter Hyperintensities Are No Major Confounder for Alzheimer's Disease Cerebrospinal Fluid Biomarkers. van Waalwijk van Doorn, LJC, Ghafoorian, M, van Leijsen, EMC et al. J Alzheimers Dis 2021PMID:33252070
- Nerve growth factor (NGF) pathway biomarkers in Down syndrome prior to and after the onset of clinical Alzheimer's disease: A paired CSF and plasma study. Pentz, R, Iulita, MF, Ducatenzeiler, A et al. Alzheimers Dement 2021PMID:33226181
- Genome-wide association study of Alzheimer's disease CSF biomarkers in the EMIF-AD Multimodal Biomarker Discovery dataset. Hong, S, Prokopenko, D, Dobricic, V et al. Transl Psychiatry 2020PMID:33223526
- Plasma Tau and Neurofilament Light in Frontotemporal Lobar Degeneration and Alzheimer Disease. Illán-Gala, I, Lleo, A, Karydas, A et al. Neurology 2021PMID:33199433
- Biphasic cortical macro- and microstructural changes in autosomal dominant Alzheimer's disease. Montal, V, Vilaplana, E, Pegueroles, J et al. Alzheimers Dement 2021PMID:33196147